Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh What a Feeling

So...I received word back from my very first contest. I entered the Indiana's Golden Opportunity contest. The entry deadline was July 1, 2009.

I really wasn't sure what to expect with the two professional judging replies that were reported. I knew I wanted some feedback from an outside source. I've always been very lucky with people supporting my work. Then, through kismet, I ended up with a rockin' CP that also has some editing background. But there's always a part of me that wondered what a stranger would think.

Part of me wondered how my work would sound to someone that had no former knowledge of my personality from the internet, or through friendship. It's a nervy thing, really. I wanted it, that was for sure, but when I actually got the response in my email, I was frozen solid. I couldn't open it.

On top of that, I was already online with Cari talking about another project, so she got to see me go crazy first hand. Lucky girl. LOL

Thank God for her, that's all I can say. She immediately wanted to see the results and let me babble about it. Then, after I read everything, she celebrated with me. I wasn't a finalist, but I did end up at the top of the pile.

There were 25 entries and I came in 6th. Pretty exciting for me, considering the level of help the story needed. I've changed so much, even since this summer. The feedback was phenomenal. Both judges were forthcoming with praise and constructive criticism. One judge was more thorough than the other with feedback.

I got what I wanted from the contest. I knew the story itself needed work and didn't deserve to final, but the judges did score high on characterization, dialogue and professional look. Conflict and plot needed work, but those things were already on my list to change.

All in all, I think it was very good experience.




POSITIVE:

Does the presentation of the setting add depth and/or conflict to the story? Yes! Wild crowds, clamoring fans, flashing lights, a hard-drinking, itinerant lifestyle make a terrific backdrop for a paranormal!


CONSTRUCTIVE:

Does the romantic conflict challenge the hero and heroine to grow into love? I’m not sure what the impediment to Sophie and Jake getting together is. They seem to have much more in common than in conflict. He thinks his vision tells him she wants to kill him, but it almost seems he doesn’t believe that himself.





Has anyone else entered a contest? What are your thoughts on them?

7 comments:

Cari Quinn said...

You did amazing on this contest, and of course you got high scores - SIN's a great story! Their feedback was useful, since you already had ideas about what you wanted to work on. But like you said...it makes a difference how a complete stranger perceives your writing. And they perceived it well, because you're a terrific writer and they saw that too. :)

The Goddess Hathor said...

First off, congrats, T, on your placing. Great job!!!

As for contests, the only ones I've ever entered are fan fiction contests on fan sites. And there, most people know me, so it's a totally different experience.

I would love to get some feedback from people who don't know me, and would give more than "wow, great" or "that was hot". Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE feedback of all kinds; even the criticisms. I'd just like to get honest opinions on my writing rather than biased comments from folks who give me the benefit of the doubt due to the subject matter.

Hmmmmm.... maybe if I wrote something other than fan fiction I would get what I was looking for? Yeah, probably :)

~ Hath

~ Hath

Super_Kiwi said...

This is an amazing result woman! I am so very proud of you :)

I 'm so glad you got some feedback on SIN, especially since its something very different for you -- and now you know you have the tools and base for a great story with some work. The judges comments were so good.

I haven't entered any REAL contests, I would like to and I see the RWA over here does hold them... so once I kick my work into gear I'll give it a go. :)

Congrats again! *muah*

JBJBounce said...

Congrats! You know how I feel about your amazing gift. I knew you'd do well on any contest and that you'll be published sooner or later. You're that good. Having a stranger critique it and give you high marks is no more than I'd expect.

Me? I've never entered a contest and honestly, don't believe I'd fair nearly as well as you.

Taryn Elliott said...

Cari--*muah* Thanks babes. Thank God, I've got you and so many awesome friends that support me. I'm SUPER blessed. And now, when I go back to this twisted metal pile of horror, I know we'll do okay with the revamps!

Hath--I gotta say, the feedback is the best. Especially when someone likes your work and has no earthly idea who you are. And it's EVEN better when they get your quirky dialogue. hehehe

We're still pushing for you to go to the OTHER darkside. You'll get there!

Kiwi--*muah* My other bestest cheerleader in the whole wide world! Thanks for the unflagging support as always. I think you might love RWA when you immerse yourself inside of it.

Di--Aww, hi! Thanks for stopping by my writing site. I appreciate it. Again, what would I do without you guys and your support---I don't think I ever want to find out.

There's plenty of contests out there that would suit you just fine, darlin'. It's nerve wracking, but in the end I think it was really worth it.

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

Hey Tara!

I'm wandering over from Cari's blog! First - congrats on such an awesome placement!!! =) I wish you all the best in your future writing endeavors!

I love contests and "theme" related submissions. It stretches you and makes you step outside of your comfort zone. And that, in my opinion, is always a good thing!

Jaime

Helen Hardt said...

First of all, great news about the contest!

To answer your question, yes I have entered contests. I'm a huge proponent of them as a learning experience, and I've gotten some invaluable advice from contest judges. I look at them as paying a fee for a couple critiques of your work. And if you final, it's icing on the cake!