Monday, September 14, 2009

A Journey Of A Thousand Steps...

For my first WW post, I'd like to share a brief list of my own.

1) How many years I've been writing: 18...seriously, about 4
2) How many contests I've entered:  4
3) How many I've won: 1
4) How many books I've written (completed an entire draft): 4
5) How many books I've contracted: 1
6) How many books I've had rejected: 1, though it wasn't a traditional submission
7) How many times I've contemplated quitting writing and taking up igloo building? 489895

But most importantly...

8) How many times I've actually quit? Never.

I've contemplated it, of course. What writer hasn't? It's no fun being rejected and reviewed and dissected. Or worse, ignored. But it's part and parcel of a writer's life, and if you are one, you eventually realize that the downs are so worth the ups. And if they're not? Well, igloo building is always a viable choice, especially if you're a New Yorker like Tara and me, LOL

I should also list another number.

9) How many critique partners I've had: 3

All 3 are very different, with unique skills and personalities and writing styles. I know some people tell horror stories, but I've gotten so lucky with mine. And really, having people who "get it" to ride the wave with you - or drown in the surf, depending on the day - is what makes all the difference.

Tara was my first CP. When I wrote to her that first time, I almost talked myself out of it. I didn't really need anyone to read over my work. I was fine. Then I got back her first crit where she commented, "Well, I have to say it's not perfect yet..." and we were off.  ;)

I'm still not a perfect writer yet, and that burns my ass. Every time I think I've learned what I need to, I see that I'm not even close to getting where I want to go. Big ambitions mean a big learning curve. And as Tara always says, I'm harder on myself than anyone else could ever be.

But I haven't fallen off the mountain yet, so I guess that's a victory in itself. And I hope to update that list with some good news soon...

6 comments:

Taryn Elliott said...

LOL
Seriously? I don't even remember that part. Did I honestly say Well, I have to say it's not perfect yet...

ROTF! Gosh, how rude am I? LOL!!

*muah* I'd happily build igloos with you darlin'--esp in the month of November when we hate the very existence of writing. LOL

Of course, lately--we've been pretty good on our wordcounts, so maybe it won't hurt so bad. ;) Just no days off. OUCH...that part will hurt.

I'll take that Journey of a Thousand steps with you--you can bet on that baby!

Ashley N said...

Looking forward to this blog as it develops! Happy to be counted as one of your CPs my dear. :)

Sarah Simas said...

I think that is a wonderful list, Cari! And I wish you much success in adding to those numbers.

I love the blog and plan to swing back by! :o)

Helen Hardt said...

Hon, if you're waiting to become a perfect writer, the wait will be long indeed, LOL. There's no such thing. But you're a great writer with a unique voice. And by the way, only one rejection before your first acceptance? All writers will envy those stats!

Super_Kiwi said...

LOL Building Igloos is fun. LOL
Mine might melt in Nov since it's nearly Summer tho ;)

Nano, I'm looking forward to as I'm percolating quite the story.
I loved your update and I expect your next update will be even more ;)

You've come such a long way, and you're doing so well. I'm looking forward to taking the journey with you too :)

Cari Quinn said...

Every bit of good news and every good writing day makes it all worth it. Oh, and having good friends, too. Nothing's better than that. ;)

Thanks to everyone who stopped by.